Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Update: Full-On Pumpkin Freakout

Mrs. Green's didn't have pumpkin. (OmNomCT tells me they bought it all, but I think they're joking.)
Yesterday, my coworker swore her husband got two big cans of pumpkin at the Stop and Shop (or Shop Rite, she wasn't sure) on the border on Stamford/Greenwich on Rt. 1. I, of course, ZOOMED to both stores right after work. NO PUMPKIN. A Shop Rite employee said they'd have it in the next month, but is such a glib answer really believable? An employee at Stop and Shop said abruptly and gruffly, "We haven't had it for six months. It's the crop." Clearly, he understands how much trouble we are in.
My friend Mama Ball comments on the previous post that pumpkin will soon be in stores... she's usually right about everything, but I'm going to ask her to do some further research for me.

I am finding confusing info online about the pumpkin shortage. Some links:

--The HGTV readers seem to agree on this thread that there currently IS a shortage.
--I found several versions of an article written in 2010 about how the pumpkin crop of 2009 got destroyed, leading to a shortage in 2009, but suggesting that 2010 would be better.

Well, all my current info from grocery store employees suggests we are in another pumpkin crisis.

I MAY have a can of pumpkin shoved in the back of my pantry. Currently, it's my only hope for making the pumpkin muffins I'm craving so badly.

If you see any pumpkin around, let me know. And don't feed my any false info, you know, like my coworker did. She's clearly got some agenda.

2 comments:

jfamous said...

I found a can of trader joe's organic pumpkin in the back of my panty. It's at least a year old (maybe 2). You're welcome to it. ;-)

Unknown said...

There do seem to be pumpkins and from what i understand, the canned pumpkin would not have been affected by this years problems....oh well, what do i know!