Thursday, March 4, 2010

Maple Syrup and Baby Turtles: Stamford Museum & Nature Center in Winter!

When I went to SMNC 2 summers ago, pre-baby, I mostly looked at the animals outdoors. I went last week when my sister and her kids were in town, and I feel like I finally really got to enjoy the place. It was really cold, and there was still some snow on the ground. We walked around and looked at the llamas and sheep and horses, but we also spent time in a few indoor places I hadn't bothered to look at before.

1. The turtles and scary snakes house! For a Saturday in winter, it wasn't too crowded, I think because we got there after 3 pm. It was so cool. There were baby turtles, and big lizards... and it was nice and toasty.
2. The maple syrup house! From outdoors, it looked closed, but the maple syrup boiler was steaming away. We got samples of syrup and a pleasant speech about syrup from the not-hard-on-the-eyes maple maker.
3. Gift shop. I didn't make it to that part. Had to feed baby in car.
4. Museum. My sister and the kids went to the actual museum at the top of the hill and they liked it.

I highly recommend Stamford Museum and Nature Center for a visit, year-round.

This post is not too exciting, but with a full time job, other blog, and baby- oh and husband and friends- and a major sleep deficit- I think I need to lower my standards a tad.

The SMNC has a maple syrup event this weekend:

Our Annual First County Bank Maple Sugar Sunday event is just around the corner – this Sunday, March 7, at Stamford Museum & Nature Center from 11 am to 3 pm.

Visitors will be able to see a wide range of techniques used to create maple syrup including colonial and modern methods. Games, crafts, face painting and story telling are just some of the fun activities planned for this annual festival! Visitors will even get a chance to taste sugar on snow – a sweet maple treat! Our famous pancake brunch will also return to the Bendel Mansion (main building) featuring our own fresh maple syrup! We will also have a “chef showdown” featuring local chefs Frank Daniele(Frank & Julio’s Complete Event Planning) and Robin Selden (Marcia Selden Catering) going head to head in a maple themed cooking challenge! Visitors will have a chance to sample their creations and vote for their favorite.

No comments: