Friday, September 5, 2008

Where to Get My Friday Bagel?

Absurdly, I woke up at 4:15 today. Once my mind wakes up, it's tough to fall back asleep; plus, I love mornings, so even though I usually don't go to bed until 11:30, part of me still wants to be up at 5:30. I just tried to fall back asleep at 5:15 to squeeze in a 45 minute snooze, but I'm hungry, so I can't sleep. Focusing on my bagel dilemma will take my mind off how tired I am.

Liz Sue Bagels in Bull's Head, or Upper Crust in Old Greenwich?

Liz Sue's bagels are so good, but the line always goes pretty slowly. It's definitely worth the wait, but whether it's worth being late for work is another issue. I also like Liz Sue because the people are really friendly and make you feel like they appreciate your business. The biz has been around for over 25 years and they're often in the Faifield Weekly's "Best of" poll.

Upper Crust, on the other hand, has incredible veggie cream cheese. I got veggie CC at Liz Sue once and it wasn't as good. It didn't have as many veggies in it as Upper Crust. Upper Crust is also insanely fast.

OK, I've decided. Go to Liz Sue, because it's on my way to the gym. I might as well work out and make something positive out of sleeping badly. I'm too hungry to work out first. Bagel, here I come.

Maybe I'll try one of their other flavors of cream cheese.

Related posts:

--November 8, 2007-- My NYSC: Through Good Times and in Bad

12 comments:

patty said...

You made the right choice. If the bagel itself isn't great, the cream cheese is irrelevant. In my humble opinion, of course.

Anonymous said...

Oh, now you've got me craving Liz Sue bagels, Girlfriend! They are so fabulous. I'm with Patty... the cream cheese is irrelevant!

Greg said...

Doesn't eating the bagel offset the point of the gym?

(Your word verification thing is especially difficult today...what is this, college?)

Kristine said...

Greg, what was it? Share the fun. Mine for this one is "fjuajfj." What the fjuajfj!!!

So, my Liz Sue bagel totally did not have enough cream cheese on it, but I do think the quality of the bagel is superior to Upper Crust. (Altho UC's bagel is larger.) Next time at LS I'll ask for extra cream cheese.
I still prefer UC's veggie CC; LS's has too many green peppers and I prefer the carrots and red peppers in UC's!

Greg said...

It was very similar to yours, but it had a whole series of "n"s and "m" which were hard to differentiate..it took 3 tries to get it correct. Now it's "pfvbqxym"...very complicated.

Unknown said...

liz sue!!!!
Sorry the wait is worth it and I try to go early or bring in bagel so no one cares if I am late

irenesbooks said...

Liz Sue! Long may she live!

Streets of Stamford said...

I'm from Long Island and I love Liz Sue bagels.

Amanda said...

and starbucks has pumpkin spice lattes back!

Kevin McKeever said...

The older NYC Jewish couple My Love lived with for severalyears say it's Liz Sue or nothing, dahhhling. And don't forget the lox and cappers. Oy - the love!

Manager Mom said...

Hmmm...I've never eaten bagels from Liz Sue. I do like Upper Crust though - whenever Spawn have a doctor appointment, I'm there.

Streets of Stamford said...

I forgot to mention that Liz Sue has awesome coffee to boot!