Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Murderous Drivers of the FC

My friend Christopher, a writer, actor, and radio talk show host in Minneapolis, has a Blog Harbor post up about the 3 annoying styles of Minnesota drivers. He pinpoints them as:

1. I’m Slow and Easy . . . Until You Try and Pass Me
2. Using My Turn Signal Only When Necessary Helps the Environment
3. The Left Lane is My Lane

The examples that Christopher gives portray apparently peaceful but truly clueless, passive-aggressive drivers. I have to say, I think the annoying driving styles in the Stamford area are completely different. There's nothing much passive about the aggressiveness of FC drivers. I'd place them under the umbrella of "Get the He!! Out of My Way- I Am More Important Than You and I Don't Care If I Kill You." You know, people whipping around you and coming way too close to your car, people flying through red lights and narrowly avoiding hitting the car that has the green light... as I drive around town with my new baby, I find myself wishing I had a gun. I know that sounds pretty violent, but it makes me really angry that people drive so carelessly.

Oh, did I say gun? I meant paint gun. Right. That's what I meant.

Related Stamford Talk post:
--December 12, 2008-- Stamford Paint Gun Officer: Vote for Me!

Or, read all Stamford Talk posts with the label Driving/Traffic Hell.

Other Stamford Talk post inspired by Christopher's blog, Blog Harbor:
--November 25, 2008-- Could Rampaging Turkeys Happen in Stamford?

See "Best Of Blog Harbor" to read some of Christopher's funniest posts. My favorites:
The Simple Language of Parenting and Football Coaches
The Seven People in the World Not on Facebook
Demando and Commando

10 comments:

Landlady of Fat said...

I don't know, I've seen the people Christopher mentions too!

Not to start a class war or anything but --- Westport is THE WORST.

Every Lexus SUV in town has the right of way no matter what.

Every. Single. One.

Pass the paint gun this-a-way.

Unknown said...

Well Stamford talk, I have a different solution, mostly because I would run out of paint balls with a 100 round gun on one walk home. How about if I give $5.00 to everyone who does stop for a pedestrian in a cross walk or doesn't run a red light or doesn't turn on red when the sign says no?
I think I would hold onto a hundred dollars very easily in this town.

Chris Preovolos said...

Dude. I'm totally a number 1. But my Scooby doesn't have the guts to back up my simmering road rage.

–CP

P.S. And yeah, today, I had somebody honk their horn at me BECAUSE I stopped for a pedestrian on East Main.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Driving with a new baby puts a whole new perspective on safety!

Wendy

Christopher Gabriel said...

My Dear Stamford Talk...kind and gentle Stamford Talk...new Mommy Stamford Talk...

"I find myself wishing I had a gun. I know that sounds pretty violent..."

Violent? No, what are you talking about. Violent...please. When I lived in New York, I carried a surface-to-air missile launcher in my back seat. You cut me off, I take you out. I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, sometimes drivers got on my nerves a little. :-)

Kevin McKeever said...

Good to know the baby and excess hormones haven't taking the edge off you yet.

Kevin McKeever said...

Good to know the baby and excess hormones haven't taking the edge off you yet.

Anonymous said...

This is why people buy big giant vehicles to cart around tiny babies.

Julie said...

Ugh, I hate driving here. It makes me want to go back to living in Boston. What does that tell ya?!

Streets of Stamford said...

I have a new (least) favorite kind of driver: the ones who hold their cell phones near their chins or ears, thinking that it's somehow safer than just holding it like a normal phone. Sheesh!!