Saturday, December 6, 2008

Stamford Hospital Rocked My World

I went to see a doctor at Stamford Hospital about this cough on Wed., and I left in a daze because everyone I encountered there was so nice to me. It was weird. I wondered if I just looked especially appealing (I did take the time to shower and put on a cute outfit), or maybe sounded pathetic (the chest congestion made it hard to talk), or if the staff at Stamford Hospital is just nice. I have to go with the last option. I was there for four hours, and I only experienced kindness and patience.

Parking lot attendant: super nice.
Registration people: pleasant, knew right away that I was the last minute, squeezed in X-ray patient.
Registration lady: insisted on wheeling me to my chest X-ray because I said I was short of breath.
X-ray Lady: super-nice to me, walked me to elevator after the X-ray.
Pulmonologist secretaries: super-pleasant, and you know secretaries aren't always super-pleasant.
Pulmonologist: nice, got a lady to hold my hand when I was freaked out by the naso-laryngeal swab he wanted to do.
Hand-holder: super nice.
Back to registration for blood test: nice, almost awkwardly so, because I had an embarrassing coughing fit when I tried to talk.
Blood-taker: super nice.

Granted, my standards for nice aren't that high. You just have to act like you don't hate me, and maybe smile and tell me to have a nice day. But in this busy world, people don't always even bother to do that, so when it happens, it's remarkable.

My second antibiotic has kicked in quite nicely, so now I'm just trying to make sure I don't overdo it, because it feels so good to feel good after feeling bad for 5 weeks! Still coughing some, especially at night, but I don't feel like dog doody every second of the day, and that's something to feel very happy about.

6 comments:

Leadhyena Inrandomtan said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better!

irenesbooks said...

I went to the Stamford ER in the middle of the night recently because of a UTI with more or less uncontrolled bleeding. Everyone was fantastic, from the EMT guys who got me there to the ER staff and the MRI technician (they wanted to rule out kidney stones).

The ER doctor, aware of my problems with allergic reactions to antibiotics which they had in the computer from several visits earlier in the year (don't ask!), insisted to call my own doctor at 5:00 AM to consult!

Get well soon, Kristine!

Unknown said...

this is what I have been experiencing otherwise I do not know how I would get through it. But you'll see I have had yet another encounter

Melina said...

The emergency clinic at Tully is very nice too.
For a white glove hospital experience check out Greenwich Hospital. I don't know if its better per se, but it sure is fancy!
I like Stamford Hospital alot...and of course, they are trying to sell themselves to people with good health plans...so they should be nice! Ive spent way too much time at NYC hospitals in the past few years iwth my grandpa, and they are disgusting...the bathrooms are filthy and the employees outside around the waiting rooms are scary. The doctors, however, are fantastic. They see so much of everything so fast that they get very good at diagnostics and treating.
But I'm trying to move all the old folks to Stamford or Greenwich doctors so that the next time I find myself hanging around a hospital room its HERE and not in some smelly pit in NYC...
Glad youre feeling better K...I hope youre taking vitamins; a multi and C and some minterals. The zicam swabs also work great. But my favorite remedy these days is oregano oil capsules. Its a natural antibiotic so you'd have to take it at the onset of illness...I find that the two of those really work well if I feel something coming on.
Also be sure you're on fish oil and evening primrose if you have any PMS or skin rash problems...anything inflammatory responds well to evening primrose.
The kind vitamin people at whole foods can help!
UTI folks, be sure to be taking real cranberry daily...I have horrible problems with that too!...a very good Stamford hospital doctor is helping me out with it, but Im also taking lots of cranberry every day.

irenesbooks said...

I have friends in Greenwich who have all their doctors in Stamford so that the can use Stamford Hospital.

Sarah said...

I also had a great experience at Stamford Hospital when my boyfriend had his appendix out last year. Everyone was so very nice!