Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Labriola Framing: Stamford Errand Success

I had a spectacular afternoon of errand-running before the roads started getting slippery around 3pm. I got a poster framed for the baby's room, bought some stamps for my thank you cards, and bought some used books at Turn of River library that tell me how to actually take care of an infant once he's here.

I must give a shout out to Labriola Frame and Art Gallery on High Ridge. They cut a mat for my poster for cheaper than Michael's, and they did it in less than 10 minutes. My decorator friend had told me to go to Michael's; I have the frame, so how hard could it be to cut a mat out? However, Michael's said they send the stuff out to be framed, so I wouldn't have it for two weeks. This baby's due in 4, and I am obsessed with having things ready for him even if he's early, so a two-week wait was not cool. Plus, I am dying to see my Neil Young/Lucinda Williams concert poster in the baby's room.
I called Labriola once I realized Michael's was not going to be convenient, and they said they could do it today. Not only did Labriola cut my mat in a jiff, the woman working there carried my frame and poster to my car once she noticed I was pregnant. Now, that's good service!

Getting my errands done so efficiently made me glad I live in Stamford. I love this place; there's everything I need here (except nice maternity clothing- I have to go to Westport for that- and a nice Mexican/Spanish resto with good margaritas- I have to go to Greenwich for that).
People still drove like punks today, but all in all, it reminded me why I like Stamford and hope to buy a house here one day. It stinks that a couple with good jobs finds it a stretch to afford a non-run-down house, but we'll see how it pans out in the next year.

5 comments:

Chris Preovolos said...

Yeah. Never, ever, ever, go to Michael's to get a mat cut.

I'm not saying that because I have super high standards being a visual journalist or anything like that, they just really don't seem to know what they are doing. And it takes FOREVER.

The last time I went there it was like a five-week ordeal, because they couldn't get it right. I am not kidding.

Manager Mom said...

Was the lady blond? I bet it was Sandy Labriola, the owner. She's great. A little on the flaky side but she has a great eye - she framed two paintings for me and they look fabulous.

You Missed Your Calling said...

Sandy Labriola is really an artist and her store is like walking into a mini-art gallery. Glad you were able to send her some business!

Stamford Downtown Staff said...

Creative Framing on Hope Street is good too. We do a lot with them. It seems like you are having a boy--Yippee!

irenesbooks said...

I like Creative Framing too!