Sunday, October 19, 2008

People-Watching at Stamford Skatepark

The Scalzi Skatepark closes for the season around Thanksgiving, so go check it out if you haven't yet done so.

It's fun to sit and watch the older (I mean, over 18) dudes do cool tricks, and the younger ones (like, 8, 11) try out their moves in the little bowl. You do sort of feel like a stalker just sitting there, but unless you really are a stalker, I wouldn't worry about it. There are skaters of all ages, from 4- 45, so it's great people-watching. Cove Island Park and Capriccio's outdoor eating area are other ideal people-watching spots while the weather is still decent.

This pic is from Bill Helene, one of the guys on the second half of that age continuum. He's regional director of Skaters for Public Skateparks. You'll often find him at Scalzi Park (location of the Stamford skatepark), skating, taking photos, and in general being a calming presence. (At least I feel better when other people closer to my age- 33*- are around.) Bill is also a photographer and has some great shots of the Stamford skatepark in progress.

You can read more about skateboarding in Stamford under my "Skateboarding" tab.

Related Stamford Talk post:
--Oct 2007-- Fall: Last Days of Outdoor Dining

*I know, can you believe I'm 33? I don't look a day over 29.

No comments: