Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cookies. Cookies. Cookies. Another Bakery!

I am a huge fan of cookies, and this photo took my breath away. I share it in hopes that it will make you feel as joyous and optimistic about life as it made me feel. The photo is from a post about Matthew's bakery on the Advocate's food blog, The Lunch Break Chronicles, run by photographer Chris Preovolos. I'm going to try to find this bakery today. (71 West Broad St.) I'll get a huge sampling... in the name of learning more about Stamford, of course.

Now, I'm also very picky about cookies. I don't waste my time on crap cookies with no flavor or poor flavor, but I can tell that the cookie in the photo is going to be amazing. I hope that filling in the middle is caramel flavored. I hope it's sweet but not too sweet.

Chris also contributes to the Advocate's local news-oriented photoblog In Sight. I subscribe to the feeds of both In Sight and Lunch Break Chronicles, and if you are interested in Stamford, you should too. The blogs provide a little extra inside scoop on what's going on around town.

I have to mention that the Advocate's photographers are eerily cool. I've met 3 of the 4 that contribute to In Sight, and they are totally the types you'd invite to dinner or a party at your house. One, Dru Nadler, photographed my wedding, and I officially love her. Dru is as cool as Manager Mom, if that tells you anything.

There is also an Advocate political blog, Political Capitol, and a local sports blog, Overtime. The Stamford Times also has a local sports blog called Stamford Sports Scene.

9 comments:

Streets of Stamford said...

Matthew's Bakery is fantastic. They have your usual staples - cookies, cakes, pastries - plus some Latin desserts. They also have great breads, mini-pizzas, and one of my favorite foods in the world: empanadas.

Great, now I have to stop there on the way home to try some alfajores.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the mention. I'm glad I have at least one person looking other than members of my immediate family!

patty said...

Chris count one more - I didn't know about your blog until ST featured you today. I just added a bookmark and I'm off to my google reader to subscribe.

Julie said...

I know where Matthew's is! I found it the other day while going to Stew's, my favorite place. Also had a cake from there at work recently. So, how was it?

Anonymous said...

plus one here too on the bookmark. Good stuff Chris :)

Ali said...

Mmmm...cookies! I've heard about Matthew's Bakery but have never actually gone. That picture certainly inspires a trip though!! I didn't know The Advocate had a food blog, thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Do they have a soupkitchen?

newcanaanbranch.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
newcanaanbranch.com said...

It's true, The Advocate photographers totally rock. This is true of alumni photographers as well.

When I worked at the paper I noticed they took a very high degree of pride in their work and provide the community with an incredible visual record of our daily lives.

If you know Chris himself he's a super great guy (he's single, ladies and he can bake mean chocolate cake).