Thursday, November 27, 2008

Blue Holiday Lights Downtown: I Like 'Em

It took me a few minutes to get used to Stamford's new blue lights, but I'm OK with them. Obviously, I like the fact that they match my Stamford Talk theme. At first I missed the classic white lights, but blue is cool. As my husband says, "They're Christmas yet Hanukkah." He believes that holiday lights should be colorful. He shot down my all-white light Christmas tree idea the first year we lived together, then totally took over and proceeded to put together a great-looking tree. I'll admit, I'm a convert. I now see the appeal of colored lights.

However, I wonder if the all-blue lights will get old after a couple months. I wonder if I'll start to feel like I need a little variety. The blue is very blue, with no break. I wonder what other cities have all blue, and if people tolerated them for long periods of time. The nice thing about white is that it's very standard. Household lights are white, so having all-white lights in the trees year-round is no biggie, and it's pretty.

But see, this is where my husband would say holidays are for fun, and for different. I see his point... which is why I am OK with the blue lights. Et tu?

8 comments:

Jeff said...

They kind of look like tiny Shea Stadia.

Anonymous said...

the lights are pretty! didn't know they used to display white lights. my bf and i just moved to stamford from chicago. we're still looking for things to do here and stumbled upon your blog...

Anonymous said...

The blue is kind of depressing.

262mom said...

I like the blue. I am sure they look great against the snow, when you get some =)

Julie said...

I LOVE THEM TOO! Although I would love to see some white ones interspersed with the unrelieved blue. That would be lovely.

irenesbooks said...

OMYGOD! I think I'm too old for that . . .

Anonymous said...

They had the same lights last year didn't they?

patty said...

In a rare moment of feeling flush with cash, I picked up some pizzas at Remos last night. As I walked back to the car in the rain, I noticed the blue lights had a bit of a Blade Runner effect. While I love Blade Runner, it doesn't scream holiday cheer.