Wednesday, September 5, 2007

New Bins, New Era in Trash

SCOOP: The city of Stamford ended backyard pickup, so now we all get new garbage bins! With wheels!
MY TAKE: At 6 am in the winter, curled up in my bed, I was thankful to hear a commotion under my bedroom window. It was the magical sound of my garbage bins being pulled violently out to the curb when I had forgotten. I thought the garbagemen were just super nice- turns out, all of Stamford has backyard service. Since 80% of Stamford-ites already put their own trash out, the city decided to end backyard pickup. They're giving out new, uniform bins that can automatically be lifted into the truck. I’m picturing two beautiful clean bins, each with a sturdy hinged lid. I’ve been looking forward to this for over a week. The elderly or handicapped can apply for exemptions, and from what I read in the paper, the city has been quick to process those requests. If I didn’t read the local news, I wouldn't have known about this revolution in trash. You don’t read the local paper, and that's OK. I'm here for you.
VERDICT: I hope these bins live up to my expectations. I'm looking forward to writing our house number on the bin in permanent marker.

No comments: