Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sk8 Park Report

SCOOP: Scalzi Park has tennis courts, a baseball diamond and a skate park, which makes for good people watching.
MY TAKE: We checked out the skate park on Saturday. It was busy. There's a big bowl for advanced skaters (the video in my earlier sk8 park entry), a small bowl to practice in, and an area with a railing, steps, and raised surfaces where skaters perfect the threatening moves they do in front of public buildings. That's why the skate park is good: they can practice freely, and we're not mowed down. The kids were polite and cooperative, with minimal cursing. There was only one girl, and only one skater looked over 21. Observers sat on benches. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. I myself couldn't relax, because not all kids wear helmets. They skate along the edge of the big bowl to get to the other side of the park, and that big bowl is steep. I might not go back.
On the way out, I noticed a tiny kid standing with the big boys on the edge of the small bowl. He looked, max, 7 years old. I worried a heavier kid might smush him, but he stood confidently and watchfully beside boys twice his size, waiting his turn. What an eager little face. As we drove out of the park, I saw a bunch of 8 year olds running suicides. I think it was a football team. I liked that the team was a mix of black and white kids, and that one coach was white and one was black. I don't see many racially diverse groups in Stamford. If you do, tell me.
VERDICT: Get lunch and eat it outdoors at Scalzi. It's on Bridge street, near the Ridgeway Shopping Center.

No comments: