Sunday, May 17, 2009

Food Critic/Author Ruth Reichl in Darien

My favorite local independent bookstore, Barrett Bookstore in Darien, is hosting food critic/author Ruth Reichl this Thursday, May 21 at 7pm at the Darien Community Association. I have read all of Reichl's books, and loved Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise the best, because it was about her having to go undercover as the New York Times food critic. Baby Stamford Talk has his 2 month shots that Thursday, so I'll be home crying and watching my baby for signs of a reaction, but you foodies should go check out RR.

From the official event flyer:

AN EVENING WITH RUTH REICHL

Reservations recommended
Darien Community Association 203-655-9050.
274 Middlesex Road, Darien, CT 06820
www.dariendca.org

Barrett Bookstore 203-655-2712
www.barrettbookstore.com

Ruth Reichl’s journey from childhood, mortified by her mother’s disastrous cooking, to her current position as editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine has been chronicled in her best-selling memoirs. These accounts of her personal and professional life are told in Ms. Reichl’s signature style – a winning combination of humor, disdain for pretension, and passion for food - that has delighted her many fans for years. With her fourth book, "Not Becoming My Mother: and Other Things She Taught Me Along the Way," Reichl now looks backward and inward in an attempt to understand and explain her mother, both to herself and to us.

Ms. Reichl will be at the Darien Community Association on Thursday evening at 7:00 pm, May 21 to speak and to sign copies of her books. "Reading my mother's letters and diaries, I met her not as my mother, but as one adult woman meeting another," says Reichl. "I had to give up the mother I thought I knew to embrace this new, much more interesting person. What I discovered was that my mother was far more self aware than I ever realized, and that she had a vision of what might be possible for a woman. Life did not allow her to realize her dreams, but she hoped things would be different for me."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Harry Connick Jr. was in the Town Center Starbucks this afternoon.

Chris Preovolos said...

Saw her at Columbia J-School this year, which was really cool since she talked about the journalism aspect of everything.

–CP

anne said...

Love Ruth R., love Barrett Bookstore, love the DCA House (the site of my wedding!). I am so there. Thanks for the info.