Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Heads Up: Dumba$$ Sniper Near Meriden

I highly doubt that this affects any of us, but I do have a friend who drives to Hartford regularly, so I'll mention the car window shooter on I-691 near Meriden/Wilbur Cross Parkway. I was on that road this weekend, and maybe some of you will be on it this weekend if you're heading up north.

According to the WTNH website: At least two drivers say their car windows were shot out while they were driving on the highway in Meriden this morning near the Wilbur Cross Parkway. That was posted at 5am today.

I'm hoping it's just a BB gun, because it is so not cool to shoot at people. What an a-hole. This reminds me of the DC sniper, who shot a lady at our mall in Fredericksburg, Va.- she lived- and killed a man who was pumping gas at a shopping area near town. We don't live in Freddy-burg, but we shop there, so in the weeks before they caught those two snipers, my mom walked in a zig-zag line in parking lots.

My dad likes to tell this story: "I told the ladies at work, 'I haven't pumped gas in 2 weeks. I have my wife pump gas.' They looked at me in horror, and I said, 'Well, she volunteered.'
'Did she?' they asked. I said, 'Yeah, she kinda ducked.'" He falls over laughing.

He reports that he also told them cheerfully during the anthrax scare, "I have my wife open all my mail. I haven't touched a letter in weeks." Then, he laughs until he can't breathe.

I like the story of how they caught the DC snipers. The police announced the suspect's license plate, and a little while later, a trucker in Western Maryland spotted the car parked at a rest station. The two men were sleeping in the car. The trucker called police, blocked the exit to the rest station, and waited for police to arrive.

4 comments:

Brann...it's good for you. said...

Yeah...as someone who lived through the sniper fears as a resident of No. Va., that period sucked. It sucked even more coming a year after the horrors of 9/11. I guess some inflated gas prices right now are not as bad...we just have to convince ourselves to think differently...

I just discovered your blog today. I'll be back.

Leadhyena Inrandomtan said...

WOW! That's right next to my route. I drive from Stamford to Glastonbury twice a week, and I take the other fork in the road (I91 not I691) to get there, odd bit of luck there. I really hope this was a bunch of drunk hooligans and not some weird psycho wanting to cause terror.

meg said...

i take that route pretty much every week when i travel to visit my parents in hard hittin' new britain! thanks for the heads up. keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Tell me, please... I've asked once and I'll ask again: "what the hell is wrong with people?"