Monday, July 7, 2008

Mrs. Green's, and Reusable Bags in the FC

Speakin' o' produce... Mrs. Green's, the health food store on High Ridge, has bright yellow reusable bags that cost .99 this month. Although now as I'm poking around the 'net, that's how much Whole Foods' big beautiful bags cost, too. Maybe Mrs. Green's needs to charge more because they are a small chain with only 10 stores in the CT/NY area. Today I got some tasty spinach-artichoke dip, curried chicken salad, and delicious local lettuce. I'm excited for my Mrs. G's bag. It's bigger and prettier than my pine green Stop and Shop ones, but I'm still fond of those.

Is it weird that I feel awkward when I use my Whole Foods bag at less fancy grocery stores? I can't tell if I feel like a poser, or like I'm showing off, or like people think I'm slumming because I can't always afford to shop at WF. Does anyone else identify with this feeling at all?

On a related topic, Westport is considering banning plastic bags at grocery stores. I think that's a bit rash, because even the EPA agrees that paper bags cause more environmental pollution than plastic. I've read a couple of articles about how plastic bags are getting a worse rap than they deserve. Even if plastic bags aren't as villainous as they are portrayed, the EPA still recommends that we all try to use reusable bags.

On a less related topic, I posted pretty pics on flickr of the farmers' market I went to in Mississippi.

10 comments:

irenesbooks said...

I take my Mrs. Greens and Whole Foods bags with me wherever I go grocery shopping.

BTW, you missed the introduction of Mrs. Greens bags, they gave'm out for free . . .

Anonymous said...

The last time I was over at the West Main Stop and Shop and actually remembered to bring my cloth bags inside with me, the checker seemed confused. "I'm just trying to conserve," I told her.

She said "I don't understand."

"You know, the plastic bags. I don't like using the plastic bags."

All she could say again was "I don't understand."

Hmm.

Kevin McKeever said...

With no plastic bags, how am I supposed to pick up the Poopy Puppy's poop? Maybe if supermarkets would use less of them. How many times have the baggers at the Grade A put only two items in per bag?

meg said...

I dont really think about where I'm using my bags. I'm usually just very proud of myself for not leaving them at home when I do use them. I'm a big fan of the Trader Joe's bags (so sturdy) and when I'm feeling a little fancier I use my Glamorously Green bag... they're this great little company based out of Norwalk that has taken the reusable shopping tote to the next level. At $6 each, they are not cheap, but well you know, I tend to flush money down the toilet sometimes and at least this is helps the environment. You can see them at http://fairfieldcountychild.blogspot.com/2008/04/glamorously-green-saving-earth-with.html

Stamford Downtown Staff said...

I think the new fabric bag is like a souvenir. I try to pick one up at every store so I can keep track of all the cool places I've shopped. Any one have a Stew Leonard's bag?

Jack said...

And I just found some online that don't make me a walking billboard for a grocery store. They're called Ecologie Bags and their website has some great facts about plastic and paper bags as well.
By the way, as a suggestion you can pick up your doggie mess with newspapers.

Anonymous said...

AHAU, save yer bread bags, plastic sleeves from newspaper deliveries (altho double them up, as they are often holey), produce bags (the really thin plastic ones you puts your peaches in before weighing them on the filthy scales) all make delightful--and free--pet poop picker-uppers.

Manager Mom said...

I like the Trader Joe's reusable bags, myself. And I got a very cute set from Envirosax: http://www.reusablebags.com/store/envirosax-ultracompact-reusable-shopping-retro-graphic-frames-p-1081.html?osCsid=c6228efe561ce51befac36349fe6d26c

Anonymous said...

My favorite reusable canvas bags are the ones I got at a Brooklyn Cyclones baseball game. They say "Chef One Dumplings: The Official Dumplings of the Brooklyn Cyclones"!

ThreadBeaur said...

I take my cloth bags to every store I visit. From Target to the farmers market. I have not used a new plastic bag from a store in 5 months! Sometimes the baggers are baffled by putting groceries into a cloth bag, but they do it!