Thursday, July 17, 2008

Stamford Talk: iPhone-Less, Laptop-Less, Sad

I'm trying not to get too upset that my Mac laptop died yesterday. It's less than a year old, so it's under warranty, which is nice, but I'll be laptop-less for at least a week while it gets sent away to be fixed. My husband thinks it's the logic board. I see the "Data Rescue II" and "Mild Injury Star" software on our iMac desktop that is currently trying, to no avail, to resuscitate my laptop. This is my second, out of 2, Mac laptops to die in the 3.5 years I've owned them.

Again, trying not to get too angry. I'm a Mac fan and I don't want to feel this rage toward the company that I'm feeling right now. How am I going to blog for a whole week on a desktop computer? Nooo! I have to sit cross-legged on my couch under a blanket!!!

My anger is augmented by the fact that my husband busted his iPhone installing new software this week, so he took mine to use while he tried to fix his. I know that makes me sound way too generous, but he bought me the thing, so I figure I owe him that one smidgen of kindness. Maybe after he reads this post, he'll see how awful the next week is going to be for me, and give me my damn phone back.

I am laptop-less and iPhone-less. This is hard for me. I had gotten used to life with the iPhone, and it was very, very good. Now, I can't even blog in comfort.

I'm taking my machine in to the Apple store today to be looked at. Something spectacular and blog-worthy better happen at the mall, or preferably at the Apple store, to make up for this calamity. I'm not worried about losing my data, really. I just miss my laptop and my iPhoto and my preset websites and my 3 email accounts all in one screen.

I've been trying to convince my middle sister to get a Mac (my little sis has one), and she was already dubious because she could not believe my first one died in just over two years. This current problem is only going to convince her that it's not worth her time to get a handy dandy Mac, and to stick with the same brand of the laptop that she and her husband have had for ten years and have had like, no trouble with, even thought it fell once and has a big crack in the corner.

I'll let you know how it goes at the Apple store.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Girlfriend! That sucks! Sorry to hear about your tech troubles. There really seems to be nothing worse! That is really something I would not expect from a Mac. I've always heard such great things about them. Good luck getting back up and going.

Manager Mom said...

I am surprised as well... my Mac computers have been great. Where Apple REALLY chaps my butt is that they seem to design iPods to kick it JUST PAST the 1 year warranty. I have had about 10 iPods since they start coming out, and I never thought a $300 piece of electronics could be considered "disposable"...

Unknown said...

It sucks you lost your iPhone this week because the new software is terrific! I have it on my iPod Touch and love the new apps.

Anonymous said...

Not worth my time or my money. Husband would never put up with spending that much dough on a laptop that needs replacing two years later.

You forgot to mention that the little sister is already on her second Mac in just a few years as well.

Stamford Talk said...

So Manager Mom, no probs ever with your Mac laptops? Weird. My husband's MacBook Pro died around the time I got my second laptop. So both he and I have had a good, expensive laptop die.

The guy fixing my computer today explained to me that I shouldn't hold it on the side with one hand (I don't- maybe have done it 3 times) or movie it while it's whirring, which I also rarely do. I treat this laptop like it's made of... glass. I'm pretty annoyed because I do nothing to this thing, except put on too many photos, that might cause a problem. My memory was getting low just before this happened, but my husband deleted some things and we freed up some space. Hmmm maybe it's my husband's fault, and he deleted the... hard drive. Yeah.

Mr. Z said...

It's okay to admit it, you actually broke the laptop so that you could go check if there were any of the new 3G iPhones available at the Apple Store...

mistersquid said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the laptop dying. Happy recovery. (I'm in California for a while and haven't been as regular an RSS reader as I am usually.) Will catch up more soon

msq