Sunday, October 14, 2007

Murder in Stamford!

I'm like a cat, stalking Stamford. You never know what this city's gonna hit you with, which is why I always bring my camera. On the way to lunch at the new restaurant Market (not open for lunch), we stopped for gas at the Shell across from the Sheraton, where my cat-eyes spotted a cop car blocking the Sheraton entrance, and a huge special operations truck and crime investigation scene van out front. Other cop cars kept arriving. It was very ominous. I snapped a pic. "What's happening here?" I asked my husband.
"I don't know, maybe it's the same thing as yesterday. I think this area was blocked off."
"Like, because of floods? I saw a crime scene van."
"Well, maybe they're practicing something." (Like terrorist attack stuff?) We peered more closely as we left the station and saw a cop walking out, and a middle-aged couple walking in. "Doesn't look like much is happening- no one looks really stressed."
"Well-" I muttered, "it doesn't look like an exercise to me." We had a crappy lunch at Black Bear and drove home. This morning I looked at the Advocate online- Murder in Stamford! It's a really, really sad article. The woman was a 21 year old from Greenwich.
Well, Stamford. I'm not sure what to say about this. Only that you should be careful when you drink, and be careful who you drink with. And I am very sorry for this woman's family. And that I feel bad for taking a paparazzi-like picture yesterday, but I didn't know what was going on.

4 comments:

Leadhyena Inrandomtan said...

HOLY COW! That's 200 yards from where I live, maybe less. I feel bad for the family, and maybe I should start driving to work?

Anonymous said...

so the killer confessed ... http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/scn-sa-arrest2oct15,0,886799,print.story?coll=stam-news-local-headlines

what i don't get, is how "He had served nine months of a five-year prison sentence for a 2005 stabbing"

our parole system is really not working :(

Stamford Talk said...

I wonder who he stabbed. It said the stabbing occurred on the East Side... man, certain areas of Stamford just get slammed by the papers. It's not the paper's fault; I guess that's where crime happens. But "East Side"- sounds so LA-gang, and "South End"- well, that doesn't sound so bad, because that's a nice area in Boston.
And yeah, parole... what's the point, especially for violent crimes. Let the embezzlers out and keep the stabbers in.

Stamford Talk said...

"Botello killed Banks because she broke off their relationship a week ago, Conklin said." I found this quote from the Stamford Times odd... he killed her bc he is evil or crazy, or both, not bc of something she did.